New TLD on the market: .music!
0 min read
On September 11, 2023, the new .music top-level domain (TLD) started its Sunrise Phase. It is now possible to register your trademarked names through the control panel. General Availability will start on April 1, 2024.
Why a .music domain?
.music is a new domain extension aimed at the music industry and those individuals, organizations, and businesses that are related to it. It is a suitable choice for a wide array of industry players, including but not limited to musicians and bands, record labels, streaming services, music festivals and events, music degrees and education, and online music communities and music blogs and media. The goal of the .music registry is to create a focused and relevant online space for all things music-related.
Practical information about the .music domain
In order to register a .music domain name, all applicants will need to prove their connection to the music industry, either as a musician or band or as an industry professional. .music domain names should be between 2 and 63 characters in length, and the registration period can be anywhere between 1-10 years. Premium .music domains will be available to register at special prices. It’s worth noting that IDN registrations and Whois Privacy Protection services will not be available for this domain.
Launch phases and pricing
The launch of .music will be held in three phases:
- Sunrise Phase: September 11, 2023 – November 15, 2023. During this phase, verified trademark holders will be able to register their trademarked domain names.
- Music Community Organization Phase: October 16, 2023 – March 10, 2023. During this phase, music organizations will be able to apply for domain names directly at the .music registry before the general public will be able to register domains. Successful applicants will be given a code to register the domain at a domain registrar of their choice, such as Openprovider.
- General Availability: from April 1, 2024 onwards. As of this date, you will be able to directly register your .music domains at Openprovider, as long as you can prove a valid nexus to the music industry.
All phases will start and end at 16:00 UTC.
Registrations during the Sunrise Phase are only open for holders of TMCH-verified trademarks. In order to register your own or your customers’ trademark(s) during the Sunrise Phase, we require the following:
- SMD file from TMCH.
- Domain name(s) to register.
- Agreement of pricing: $550 (Members) or $900 (non-Members) for the first year, excluding the ICANN fee.
During General Availability, the Member price for registrations, renewals, and transfers will be $37/year. Non-Members will be able to register and transfer domains for $45/year and renew them for $63/year. The restore fee will be set at $50 for Members and $55 for non-Members. All prices are excluding the ICANN fee.
If you have any further questions about this new TLD, please contact our support team.
Subscribe to our newsletter
What are you waiting for?
Create an account today - it’s fast and free